a7III – Sony – Technical – Metadata Tool Display
I have enabled the Metadata tool on my monitor to show if my camera is recording, but it’s not working. The timecode is displaying all zeros.
On the a7III’s menu go to Menu > Setup > HDMI Settings > TC Output and turn on time code output. Full details are here:
On the a7III’s menu go to Menu > Setup > HDMI Settings > REC Control and turn on Recording Control. Full details are here:
Please note that TC output must also be On for REC Control to work. The camera must also be in Movie mode.
Sony a7III, a7III, Metadata tool
Pages from Sony (in case links break):
HDMI Settings: TC Output (movie)
Sets whether or not to layer the TC (time code) information on the output signal via the HDMI terminal when outputting the signal to other professional-use devices.
This function layers the time code information on the HDMI output signal. The product sends the time code information as digital data, not as an image displayed on the screen. The connected device can then refer to the digital data to recognize the time data.
- MENU → (Setup) → [HDMI Settings] → [TC Output] → desired setting.
Menu item details
Time code is output to other devices.
Time code is not output to other devices.
- When [TC Output] is set to [On], the image may not be output properly to the TV or recording device. In such cases, set [TC Output] to [Off].
HDMI Settings: REC Control (movie)
If you connect the camera to an external recorder/player, you can remotely command the recorder/player to start/stop recording using the camera.
- MENU → (Setup) → [HDMI Settings] → [REC Control] → desired setting.
Menu item details
The camera can send a recording command to an external recorder/player.
The camera is sending a recording command to an external recorder/player.
The camera is not able to send a command to an external recorder/player to start/stop recording.
- Available for external recorders/players compatible with [REC Control].
- When you use the [REC Control] function, set the shooting mode to (Movie).
- When [TC Output] is set to [Off], you cannot use the [REC Control] function.
- Even when is displayed, the external recorder/player may not work properly depending on the settings or status of the recorder/player. Check if the external recorder/player works properly before use.